Students may be able to "CLEP" out or test out of some required freshmen classes or prerequisites. (CLEP: College Level Examination Program.) Send them to the library database "Testing and Education Reference Center" and find "Online practice tests and courses" linked in the right column.
First, pick a major topic and then add some other limiter or you will be overwhelmed with the number of hits. Be sure to use quotation marks around phrases and parenthesis to find synonyms.
Topic: fashion, clothing, "social life," "popular culture, " civilization, etc.
Location: "united states," europe, india, etc.
Time period: "middle ages," neoclassical, "18th century," "20th century," etc.
So a complex search will look like this: "20th century" AND (fashion OR clothing OR costume)
A complex search works ONLY in the keyword anywhere (and, or, not) search option.
Or look for these books:
The purpose of this assignment is to find at least two primary sources -- in this case, articles written by a nurse who developed a seminal theory of nursing -- discussing the theory. The nurses seem to be drawn from an existing list provided to the class.
Some general notes:
Where to search:
Here is the assignment. Elaine Steinke and Carol Bett are (as of Fall 2015) the professors:
1. Review the criteria in the syllabus for this assignment. The purpose is to help to get to know some of the grand theories that guide nursing practice.
2. You will be assigned one nursing grand theorist – Look in Blackboard (in Assignments) for your assigned grand theorist. Search for information on this theorist and the associated theory. You need at least three references on this theorist and the associated theory: one reference may be your text or a website about the theorist; two should be from primary sources. (Review the information from Week 1 on primary vs. secondary sources if needed.)
3. Mini Paper: Write a 3 page summary of the grand theory (paraphrased, i.e., your own words).
Address these areas in your paper (Total – 50 points):
· Brief summary of the background of the theorist (one paragraph) (10 pts)
· Purpose of the theory (5 pts)
· Major concepts and relationships among concepts of the theory (20 pts)
· What can we learn from this theorist to inform nursing practice today? (10 pts)
· Grammar/writing style/ APA format (5 pts)
· Cite your references at the end of the paper, on a separate page. i.e. Reference as a centered heading, followed by your reference in APA style. (Remember to correctly cite a “chapter in an edited book”, see APA manual).
Remember to put your name and date in the header and save the file as stated in the syllabus. You do not need a title page for this assignment.
Attach in your Group Discussion Board AND using link in Assignments folder as directed in Assignments. Complete your Discussion Board assignment.
4. Go to “Assignments”. Click on your Discussion Group. Click on “Create Thread”.
a. Summarize the grand theory discussed in your paper in one paragraph, including purpose and major concepts.
b. Search the literature for an article example of application of your assigned theory to practice: post a summary of the article as a second paragraph in your discussion. Cite your article source at the end of your posting.