Wichita State University Libraries
Equipment Circulation Use and Liability Policy
1. Equipment may only be checked out by currently enrolled Wichita State University students or currently employed Wichita State University faculty, staff, or unclassified professionals. They must be in good standing with no outstanding lost charges or blocks on their library record.
2. Equipment may only be checked out after eligible patrons present a current Shocker Card.
3. A completed WSU Libraries Equipment Loan Agreement form signed within the past year must be on file with Circulation.
Loan Periods, Availability, and Circulation Policies
1. Equipment checkout is for either in library use only til 1 hour before close or for outside of library use for 3 or 7 days. All equipment is due back at the Circulation Desk one hour before the library closes on the due date, which may shorten the checkout period. Equipment cannot be placed on hold.
2. Equipment can be checked out from the Reserve or Circulation Desks.
3. In library use equipment must remain inside Ablah Library behind the 3M Security Gate. In Library use Equipment may not be taken into the foyer or 24 Hour Study Room except for headphones, flash drives, and cables.
4. All internet and computer activities must comply with Wichita State University’s Acceptable Use Policy.
5. Patrons are permitted to save their documents three ways:
Any files saved on a laptop hard drive will be removed when the laptop is powered off or rebooted. IPads will be reset to library default settings.
Liability and Fines
1. Equipment must be checked in before the due time to prevent late fees. Fines for most equipment accrue at a rate of $1.70 per hour. The maximum overdue fine is $40. In library use Laptops accrue fines at a rate of $.17 cents per minute.
2. If equipment is not returned by the due date/time, it will be declared lost. A replacement charge based on replacement costs and not to exceed $2000 will be assessed to the patron’s account until the equipment is returned. Once returned, as long as there is no damage to the equipment , the fee will be reduced to the $1.70 per hour fine, not to exceed the $40 maximum overdue fine. Failure to return equipment during the next business day following the due date will result in an assessment of the maximum fine plus an additional $10 lost item processing fee.
3. Once equipment is considered lost, attempts will be made to contact the patron to recover the equipment. If the patron cannot be contacted or refuses to return the equipment, Wichita State University Libraries Administration reserves the right to turn the account over to the Wichita State University Police for possible prosecution.
4. Patrons are fully responsible for the equipment in their care from the time of checkout until check-in occurs, including any damages or theft.
5. Damage charges will be based on the replacement value of the equipment including peripherals damaged. Charges will be placed on the patron’s library account and collected through the same process used for other library charges.
6. Patrons are cautioned to never leave the equipment unattended as they are responsible for any lost charges resulting from neglect or theft. If a theft occurs, the patron should contact the Circulation Desk immediately and the Circulation Desk will contact the WSU Police Department. When the police arrives they will use procedures defined by the WSU police Department necessary for investigating thefts.
7. Any problem with the equipment should be reported immediately to the Circulation Department.
8. WSU Libraries accepts no responsibility for files lost or damaged while using the equipment.
9. Abuse of any aspects of this policy by a patron will result in the loss of equipment privileges by that patron.