WSU Libraries' Laptop Use and Liability Policy
1. Laptops may only be checked out by currently enrolled Wichita State University students or currently employed Wichita State University faculty, staff, or unclassified professionals. They must be in good standing with no outstanding lost charges or blocks on their circulation records.
2. Laptops may only be checked out after eligible patrons present a current Shocker Card and a second form of current photo identification such a state driver’s license or state identification card. Patrons must agree to allow the Ablah Library Circulation Desk staff to hold the second form of identification until the laptop has been returned and the check-in process completed.
3. Laptops may only be checked out after the patron has completed and signed the WSU Libraries Equipment Loan Agreement form. This agreement must be completed once per year.
Loan Periods, Availability, and Circulation Policies
1. Laptops are available for checkout 30 minutes after the library opens. They may be checked out for four hours unless the checkout occurs near closing time. Laptops checked out within four hours of closing will have a shorter loan period and will be due back one hour before closing.
Laptops may be renewed once, for an additional four hours, provided there is no waiting list. They may not be reserved.
2. Laptops will be checked out from and must be returned to the "Fines and Fees" window (by the cash register) at the Ablah Circulation Desk.
3. Only one laptop may be checked out per eligible patron.
4. Laptops must be used within Ablah Library. Laptops may not be used in the entry foyer or the Edmiston 24 Hour Study Room.
5. Laptops may only be used for those activities which fall under the University Libraries’ Acceptable Use Policy. Patrons may not install personal software, change system settings, download plug-ins, or attach unauthorized hardware.
6. Patrons may save their documents by e-mailing the document as an attachment to an e-mail account, saving the document to a flash drive, or saving the document to a CD.
7. Files may not be stored on the hard drive. All files saved on the hard drive will be removed when the laptop is powered off or rebooted.
Liability and Fines
1. The overdue fine is $10 per hour with a maximum fine of $120. There is no grace period. Patrons are cautioned that the laptop’s internal clock may not be reliable. They are advised to synchronize their watches with the check-out time generated by the online circulation system and recorded on the WSU Libraries Laptop Loan Agreement form.
2. If a laptop is not returned by closing or within eight hours of its due date, it will be declared "Lost-Not Returned by Patron." The patron will then be assessed the full value of the equipment and software, an amount that will be no less than $3,000 plus a $50 processing fee. If the patron returns the laptop within 24 hours of the due date, the charges will be reduced to the processing fee plus the maximum fine ($170).
3. Once a laptop enters the "Lost-Not Returned by Patron" status, attempts will be made to contact the patron and request the return of the equipment. If the patron cannot be contacted or refuses to return the equipment, the Wichita State University Libraries Administration reserves the right to turn the account over to the Wichita State University Police for possible prosecution.
4. Patrons will be fully responsible for the laptops in their care from the time of checkout until check-in occurs. This includes fiscal responsibility for any charges should the laptop become lost, damaged, or stolen while in the patron’s care.
5. Damage and lost charges will be based on the value of the equipment including peripherals lost or damaged. Charges will be placed on the patron’s library account and collected through the same process used for other library charges.
6. Patrons are cautioned to never leave the equipment unattended as they are responsible for any lost charges resulting from neglect or theft. If a theft occurs, the patron should contact the Circulation Desk immediately. The Circulation Desk will contact the WSU Police and begin checking patrons leaving the building.
7. Any problem with the equipment should be reported immediately to the Circulation Department.
8. The WSU Libraries accepts no responsibility for files lost or damaged while using the laptop equipment.
9. Abuse of any aspects of this policy by a patron may result in the loss of laptop privileges by that patron.
Return to WSU Libraries Laptop/Wireless Service Page
Last Updated on Friday, 14 December 2012 00:33